Our network

Crime

Dead man found in truck in Woodland

WOODLAND, CA - Woodland police investigate how a man died after he was found in a Dodge pick-up around 1:46 p.m. Friday.

Police and fire department responded to a call a parking lot of a vacant warehouse at 1400 Churchill Downs of a man slumped over inside a truck, said Woodland Police Sgt. Dan Letamendi.

When police got to the scene, they found the man was dead.

Police are investigating the death as suspicious, but there was no obvious signs of trauma, weapons or criminal activity, said Letamendi.

The Yolo County Coroner's Office is looking into the man's identity and the cause of death.

Witnesses near the warehouse said the truck has been in the parking lot for several days, said Letamendi.

Copper stolen from West Sacramento site

WEST SACRAMENTO - A "significant" amount of copper has been stolen from a West Sacramento neighborhood, a theft that caused more than 50 residents to temporarily lose power Sunday night.

According to PG&E spokesperson JD Guidi, a live overhead wire was stolen near the intersection of South River Road and Riskey Lane southwest of Raley Field.

Guidi said the theft happened just after 10:30 p.m. Sunday and left 53 people without power.  Power has been restored to all but one home.  Crews hope to have power restored to that home by late Monday morning.

UC Davis student pleads not guilty to weapons charges

DAVIS, CA -  A UC Davis student entered a plea of not guilty to assault weapon and resisting police charges in a Yolo County courtroom Wednesday afternoon.

Nicholas Benson, 25, was arrested after a family member told police Benson was armed with a rifle and was planning to hurt himself and others Friday night.

Benson was charged with possession of an assault weapon, resisting or threatening an executive officer with an enhancement of being armed with an assault weapon, and carrying a loaded weapon in public or a vehicle.

Police found Benson after an intensive search standing by his pickup truck on 4th Street and A Street.

Officers told Benson to surrender many times, but he resisted and headed for his truck. Police used a Taser to subdue Benson and arrest him.

Two Sacramento teens pled no contest in drive-by shooting

WOODLAND, CA - Two Sacramento teens pled no contest Friday to a drive-by shooting on March 6, 2010.

Monte Nunn, 17 and Michael Esterline, 19, pled no contest to attempted murder of two teens. Nunn admitted to personal use of a firearm and Esterline pled no contest to weapon charges, said Yolo County District Attorney Jonathan Raven.

Nunn and Esterline spotted the victims at the Wal-Mart Superstore in West Sacramento and started to follow the victims as they drove through the streets. The victims went to high school with Esterline.

When the victims slowed down to let Esterline pass, Esterline drove up next to the car and Nunn shot at the car six times, and then sped off, said Raven.

Police found an assault rifle, handguns and ammunition in Esterline's room.

Nunn faces up to 15 years in state prison. Esterline faces up to eight years and four months in state prison.

Sentencing is scheduled for March 18, 2011.

Tomato defendant seeks $1.3M from overseas account

SACRAMENTO, CA (AP) - A former California food company owner indicted in a tomato price-fixing plot is seeking to tap a million-dollar overseas bank account to help pay for his defense.

A motion filed by Frederick Scott Salyer's attorney in federal court last week requests permission to transfer $1.3 million from an account in the European principality of Andorra.

A U.S. District Court judge in Sacramento postponed a Wednesday hearing on the motion and asked for a response from prosecutors.

The Monterey Herald reports that Andorran authorities won't release the money because of the criminal case.

Salyer was charged last year with racketeering, wire fraud and obstruction of justice in an alleged scheme to bribe purchasing managers to buy tomato products from his company, Monterey-based SK Foods.

Salyer has pleaded not guilty.

 

 

 

 

Woodland police arrest man suspected of inappropriately touching child

WOODLAND, CA - Woodland Police Department arrested a man for inappropriately touching a child around 3:30 p.m. Thursday.

Juan Vuittonet-Hernandez Jr., 36, was arrested after being interviewed by police, said Woodland police Sgt. Brett Hancock.

The incident happened in the latter part of 2010 at a residence in Woodland and was reported two weeks ago, said Hancock.

Detectives conducted interviews and forensic interviews before they arrested Vuittonet-Hernandez.

Vuittonet-Hernandez was booked for committing lewd and lascivious acts on child under 14 years old at the Yolo County Jail.

Amber Alert System raises questions, receives praise

SACRAMENTO, CA - The latest Amber Alert catches the eye of many drivers thanks to highway signs and high tech digital billboards.

Exactly how helpful have amber alerts been though since 2002 when it was first activated?

"We've been tremendously successful. We've had 175 activations and recovered 213 children," Assistant Chief of the California Highway Patrol Ike Tani said.

Authorities also caught more than 100 suspects.

During the past three years, 24 Amber Alerts were sent out statewide each year, even more kids are found. In many cases, authorities catch the suspects.

The California Highway Patrol said it's been a great service, but not perfect. In fact, some people question why the CHP doesn't issue Amber Alerts sooner.

"Normally, that has to do with investigating agency, the investigating agency has to put the criteria together to make that determination," Tani said.